Friday, October 19, 2012

October Movie Challenge 2012 (10/18)

Remember, if you would like to make a pledge toward Scare-A-Thon 2012 (benefitting FRIENDS OF CHILDREN) at any time, drop me an email at drach101@gmail.com to let me know how much you would like to pledge per film. Your donation is tax deductible, 100% of goes directly to aid the kids, and seriously, even a penny per film helps. Thanks in advance!



Jennifer (1978) (1st viewing) d. Mack, Brice (USA) 90 min.

Lisa Pelikan stars as the titular underprivileged student in a high society prep school, frequently attacked and bullied for being “different.” Viewers will be forgiven for thinking it sounds a bit like Stephen King’s Carrie, but with a less crazy single parent (Jeff Corey), an even nastier antagonist (Amy Johnston) and the power of snake bewitchment in place of random telekinesis. (The final scene, while never approaching the masterful split-screen mayhem of Brian De Palma’s classic, is undeniably a doozy.) Bert Convy plays the kindly teacher wise to the popular clique’s tormenting. Not bad.





Stanley (1972) (1st viewing) d. Grefe, William (USA) 96 min.

Leaden paced Willard rip-off with social commentary on everything from the plight of the American Indian to ecology to Vietnam. Snake crazy Army veteran misfit Chris Robinson lives deep in the Everglades, tending to his wriggling buddies, opposing poachers and avenging his father’s death. Crazy to imagine that Alex Rocco (as a dumbbell curling thug with visions of snakeskin belts in his eyes) did this flick the same year that he graced the screens as Moe Green in The Godfather. Terrible, environmentally bent soft rock songs by Jack Vino.





Boogeyman II Redux (1983/2003) (1st viewing) d. Starr, Bruce / Lommel, Ulli (USA) 83 min.

Wow. Not even sure where to begin with this one. I had not seen the original Boogeyman (1980) in a while, but as I watched this “sequel,” I realized that at least 75% of the footage was from that first film except for some weird SOV sequences where original director Ulli Lommel is being “questioned” by the (offscreen) police about the murders that took place (as though this were a documentary?) In doing a little post-film research, I learned that the “real” 1983 Boogeyman II also consisted of a lot of existing material from the 1980 film, but then there was about 25 minutes of new footage that had all new death scenes. Which turns out to be the material that Lommel decides to fast-forward through in the Redux version – yes, it’s as though you’re watching the scenes while holding the remote control during the “new” footage, then you go back to normal speed for the recycled 1980 material and the “interview” sequences. Seriously? Now, because I like the first film well enough and I hadn’t seen it in a while, I wasn’t completely disappointed, but I was without a doubt confused for the duration. To be ignored with extreme prejudice.





Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) (1st viewing) d. Tsukamoto, Shinya (Japan) 83 min.

I can’t do this one justice for a couple reasons. For starters, it’s a sequel to Tsukamoto’s astonishing man/machine meld mindf*ck and it’s nearly as off the rails for both imaginative and visceral imagery. But unfortunately, the copy I was watching was from by Belgian blood brother Gert which meant that it had Dutch subtitles interpreting for the Japanese spoken dialogue. Long story short: even if Tsukamoto had given us any clues as to why people were developing gun turrets on their chests and bazookas for arms, I wouldn’t have been able to pick them up. I think I liked it, but purely on a visual, dynamic level. Be curious to read what I missed.


Total Movies: 58
First Time Views: 58
Money Raised for Friends of Children: $588.70

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you watched Boogeyman II of your own volition? And to think you were the one who warned me off Ulli Lommel movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that was me that warned you off, as I've only seen one other Lommel flick (the original BM).

      Now, the reason why I've not seen any others is because, well, someone else warned me off.

      Delete