Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October Movie Challenge 2012 (10/2)

Remember, if you would like to make a pledge toward Scare-A-Thon 2012 (benefitting FRIENDS OF CHILDREN) at any time, drop me an email at drach101@gmail.com to let me know how much you would like to pledge per film. Your donation is tax deductible, 100% of goes directly to aid the kids, and seriously, even a penny per film helps. Thanks in advance!





Project: Metalbeast (1995) (1st viewing) d. De Gaetano, Alessandro (USA) (92 min.)

Almost a companion piece to yesterday’s Vindicator (which kind of makes sense, since Gert burned them onto the same disc) with the slightly more far out notion of creating super-soldiers by injecting them with werewolf blood and then grafting metallic-strength skin onto them. Granted, only one poor sap gets the full treatment and the film stays relatively contained within the single research facility. My only complaint was that not enough was done with the concept, as the Metalbeast (as played by Kane Hodder) seemed as lethal and unstoppable as any other run-o-the-mill lycanthrope.





Eye of the Devil (1966) (1st viewing) d. Thompson, J. Lee (UK) 96 min.

Not sure how this Brit chiller got on my radar or into my Netflix queue, but I can’t say I recommend it all that highly. Deborah Kerr, David Niven, Sharon Tate and David Hemmings all turn in solid face time. It’s a bit Wicker Man, a bit Innocents, but nowhere near as successful.





Don't Go Near the Park (1979) (1st viewing) d. Foldes, Lawrence David (USA) 80 min.

Whoa, speaking of unsuccessful. Seriously, this was ungodly bad. Definitely put the “nasty” in its Video Nasty status, but only through sheer awfulness and the occasional innard-outing.


Total Movies: 7
First Time Views: 7
Money raised for Friends of Children : $38.15

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Project: Metalbeast. Shockingly enough, that is a werewolf flick I have seen on multiple occasions, yet still have not reviewed for my site. I suppose I should rectify that at some point -- right after I rewatch Monster Dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you'd seen it, but I assumed so. Rewatching MONSTER DOG, though... That I can't see myself doing anytime soon.

      Delete