Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Dr. AC's 2023 Horror Wrap-Up Extravaganza!

Hello, Grue Crew and Monster Masters!

2023 was quite a memorable year at the Doc’s office, both in regards to online events and out in the (ahem) Real World. With regards to the former, exploring the world of social media and the HORROR 101 with Dr. AC YouTube channel have been unlike anything else I’ve ever tried before. The end result was that I got to hang out with 80 other horror fans mixing and matching over the course of 80 episodes (31 Scare-a-Thon shows plus 11 months of Friday Night Frights) covering 135 films in all and I have to say, it’s been a BLAST.

As with any learning curve, there were more than a few hiccups along the way and I’ve definitely learned a lot, both in terms of time management and tech skills. I’m still figuring out the format, trying to provide what viewers want while still remaining true to my personal passions, and I think 2024 is going to prove to be a rather exciting year on the interwebs for this old graybeard. Stay tuned! (No, really, please, stay tuned.)


Special thanks to my Belgian Blood Brother, the one and only Gert Verbeeck, for not only creating the thumbnails for every single episode, but taking over editing chores for several as well as providing tons of helpful feedback as I fumbled my way toward the show’s current iteration. I appreciate that guy more than I can say, and I’m looking forward to seeing where things go from here!


Back on this side of the pond, I ventured forth into the world corporeal, attending Flashback Weekend for the first time in a decade, spending much of the time (no surprise) in the company of my favorite frequent flyer, Jon Kitley. While I didn’t cover as much ground as he did over the course of the year (who does?), I was pleased to once again share October hosting duties for our weekly “Terror Tuesdays” lectures at the Chicago Public Library, spend the weekend driving around Wisconsin for the Bill Rebane Horror Hunt, and celebrate 20 years of Turkey Day Marathons with this noble soul. Thanks for always saving me a seat, amigo.


I hosted three summer screenings of horror classics (Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Haunting, and The Raven) at the Sulzer Library as part of their “Thrills and Chills” program. I also attended the Super Horror-Rama at Facets Cinematek, passing out H101 stickers and shaking hands with many of Chicago’s horror faithful. The October Scare-a-Thon, in addition to breaking new ground with the guest panels, shattered all previous records with over $7,000 raised for WRRAP, and Ian Simmons continued to show dubious judgment, inviting me on dozens of Kicking the Seat episodes with his “Beyond Hammerland” and “Accademia Giallo” series (check them out). Finally, I was honored to appear on a live Birdcast with Chad the Bird and Lucille Ba’al, discussing one of my favorite films, Godzilla vs. Megalon, celebrating its 50th anniversary.


Okay, enough of my yakking. Let’s get to the task at hand, summing up the Year in Screams on Screen. In time-honored fashion, the titles listed below were encountered by your humble scribe for the first time during the past year and, to acknowledge as many as possible, I've broken them down into various categories in alphabetical order. We also revisited a LOT of movies this year for the podcast, so I’ve included a list of some of the most popular episodes below for your persual.


Love to hear your thoughts about this year’s bundle of freaks, shrieks, and antiques! You can leave a comment below or reach out to me directly at drach101@gmail.com!

Enjoy!!!


BEST OF THE NEW:

Deadstream
Godzilla Minus One
Hellbender
The Innocents
M3GAN
Pearl
The Power
Renfield
The Sadness
Speak No Evil
Talk to Me
When Evil Lurks





HONORABLE MENTION:

Birth/Rebirth
The Blackening
Hatching
Huesera: The Bone Woman
Infinity Pool
Mad God
The Outwaters
Skinamarink






MIXED BAGS:

Halloween Ends
Jurassic World: Dominion
Knock at the Cabin
Saw X
Terrifier 2






FAVORITE HORROR DISCOVERIES (First-time views released before 2022)

Host (2020)
Jurassic World (2015)
Quatermass and the Pit (1958)
Sator (2019)
Sint (aka Saint) (2010)
Tragedy Girls (2017)
We Have Always Lived in the Castle (2018)
White God (2014)
Yokai Monsters (Along with Ghosts, 100 Monsters, Spook Warfare)






WHAT THE $$#@%&$% DID I JUST WATCH??? (in the best possible way)

The Abomination (1986)
August Underground’s Mordum (2003)
Calamity of Snakes (1982)
Extra-Terrestrial Visitors (1983)
Play Dead (aka Satan’s Dog) (1983)

Ship of Monsters
(1960)






FAVORITE REVISITS (as chosen by YouTube viewers):

Three Ring King Spring Fling (Christine, Cujo, The Dead Zone)


Sleepaway Camp


Be back in a bit with the Civilian Views, final tallies, and stats! Stay tuned....


.

No comments:

Post a Comment